Commercial roofing projects are a major investment. Roofing repairs can cost several thousand dollars while total replacement can range between a few hundred thousand and upwards of a million dollars. When you’re investing in such a costly endeavour, it’s important to know that you are working with a qualified, experienced commercial roofing contractor. The following checklist represents a number of questions you must ask before hiring.
- From where does the roofing contractor conduct business? Always work with someone that has a legitimate business location and a verifiable physical address.
- What kind of support do they offer clients? Your contractor should work with support staff that can answer client questions or direct their calls.
- Are they timely and professional? You want them to be on time for scheduled meetings and appointments.
- Are they available to meet with the owner on site?
- Do they have the suitable equipment for the project?
- Do they offer a thorough roof inspection? Your choice should assess your roof and identify areas of rot or damage before beginning work.
- Do they take the time to explain the roofing project scope, timelines, and costs?
- Do they provide you with options for materials? There are often a variety of roofing materials suitable for any single commercial project – you want to work with a contthat will recommend the best materials according to your climate, geographic location, and budget.
- Is information available about them and their previous projects readily available? Getting some background information about them can help you choose the best professional for your project.
- Do they have the appropriate staff to carry out the work?
- Will you have access to an onsite foreman or project manager during your commercial roof repair or replacement? Ideally, you want to have a point of contact for progress reports and updates on your roofing project.
- Do they provide for a final inspection when the project is completed? An independent final inspection is often included in the quote for your project and helps to ensure that there are no problems with your commercial roofing replacement or repair.
- Do they carry the appropriate insurance, including liability insurance? Will they provide you with their policy number? Ultimately, you need to ensure that your interests are protected in case of an accident. You don’t want to be liable for injury to workers or damage to properties.
- Do they offer a warranty?
- Can they provide references?
- Does the commercial roofing company have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
Taking some time to carefully consider their qualifications is paramount to ensuring they quality of your commercial roof. Use this checklist when interviewing potential contractors and you’ll be more likely to connect with a qualified roofing expert who conducts their business with integrity.